Custom Search
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Tool

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Jessica Cox: The Rightfooted Achiever



A couple of days ago, Jessica Cox, the first woman to fly a plane using only her feet, has arrived in Manila for a brief stay. Not a few people have been astonished by her accomplishments considering that she has been armless from birth.

She is truly admirable. Her story touches me personally because I myself have had physical struggles as well. The only difference is that I have a worse condition and she is in a better physical situation, ironically. She is armless but she can walk. I am not armless but I cannot walk. Oh life! Anyway, the most amazing part of it is that she is half Filipina. Although, she has grown up in the United States and has spent all her life in a land foreign to me, we still share the same roots. I hope that we can also share the same strength and determination.

Her story not only inspires people but also reshapes the view of people about themselves and the world around them. We, indeed, need to accept ourselves and admit our weakness and work to maximize what we have to unleash the innate strength within us. If we want to become achievers, we should not allow our limitations constrain us from pursuing our goals and dreams. I looked for more information about Jessica in the net and surprisingly, I came across a blog here in blogspot (http://jessica-cox.blogspot.com) about her. It seemed that she had caught the attention of other bloggers too.

However, I found her official site http://rightfooted.com/. At first I was wondering why she titled it right footed then I realized that she is armless so, if there are right handed people, she is right footed. At least, I got that one! Anyways, I found out in her site that she is an international keynote speaker. Now, that makes her more amazing. Allow me to quote the information in the site about her, “Jessica’s greatest challenges are not the ordinary daily tasks required for her to live independently. Putting in contact lenses, washing and brushing her hair, and fixing breakfast in the morning are all tasks that come second-nature to her as they would to anyone else. Her greatest triumph in life stands far above any physical feat. It is her unrepentant regard for herself a whole person, her high degree of self-acceptance that gives her the freedom and power to insist that society accept her, too, just as she is.”

She is an amazing woman…

Jessica flies a plane


Jessica drives a car




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...