Custom Search
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Tool

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Join: “My Blog is Carbon Neutral”

I received an email from Blog Catalog regarding an interview with Ms. Cynthia Occelli, particularly about her blog, Life: It Isn't for the Faint of Heart. It stirred up my curiosity so I clicked the link to her blog. After reading down several posts, I noticed the widget, “My Blog is Carbon Neutral”. It was something new to me so I clicked the icon and it led me to www.kaufda.de. At first, I didn’t fully understand so I clicked other links but the pages were in German (if I’m not mistaken) but after clicking several other links, I landed finally on an English page.

I totally agree with the initiative. Through it, bloggers and site owners have a chance to express an active participation in helping the environment. The initiative aims to reforest 5,500 acres of Plumas National Forest in Northern California, which has been severely devastated by forest fire a couple of years ago. The “Arbor Day Foundation,” a non-profit conservation and education organization, will undertake this project. The foundation intends to plant 792,000 trees.  Primarily, the goal of the project is to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and they plan to plant a tree for every blog that will join the initiative.

Perhaps you’re wondering about the essential connection between your blog and a tree. Maybe it’s important to note that blogs cause carbon emissions too.

“My Blog is Carbon Neutral” website explains that, “According to a study by Alexander Wissner-Gross, PhD, physicist at Harvard University and environmental activist, an average website causes about 0.02g (0,0008oz) of carbon dioxide for each visit. Assuming an average blog gets 15,000 visits a month, it has yearly carbon dioxide emissions of 3.6kg (8 lb.) This can mainly be tracked back to the immense energy usage from (mainframe) computers, servers, and their cooling systems.”

One tree may be a small contribution but that tree would stand there for the next 50 years fighting carbon emissions. It would somehow neutralize your blog’s carbon emission for the next 50 years. Join the initiative “My Blog is Carbon Neutral” and help the environment fight carbon emission. It is totally free! Just add its icon on your blog or website.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...